While in women’s chess, Indian player Koneru Humpy stands at no. 2 as in the women’s list of world top 100 players with 2586 points followed by Harika Dronavalli at 9 th place with 2515 points who both stand at 1st and 2nd place in Indian list.
India till date has 66 Grandmasters and 123 International Masters and not to forget 10 women grand masters.
What is an ELO rating ?ELO rating is the scale for calculating the skill or playing ability of a player in a chess game. A player with a 800 rating is considered a beginner, an average rating is of 1500 while 2200 rating is supposed to be professional level as per FIDE guidelines. If you don’t have a FIDE rating, you will be required to get one from the All India Chess Federation.
How can an unrated chess player become a FIDE rated player in India?
- You can go to the All India Chess Federation website which provides the information about the chess matches that will be held in coming months
- You can call the official and get registered by choosing the match you are willing to play
- On the day of the match you can inform the officials that you will like to be registered for the FIDE chess rating for which you have to play 9 matches out of 3 you should win within 1 year of registration
- Then you will be registered as a rated player online
Titles awarded in this gameThe World Chess Organization also known as Federation Internationale des Echecs( FIDE) decides the ELO ratings requirement for various titles in chess. Different countries can decide their own terms and ELO ratings for the titles in their country which are not governed by the FIDE. The highest chess championship title is the Grandmaster title(GM). Both men and women can achieve this title. Separate Women Grandmaster title is also available for women.The other titles before that are International Master (IM), FIDE Master (FM) and Candidate Master (CM) in this order. The titles are given as per the ELO ratings of players.
Titles awarded in this game
- Candidate Master (CM) requires ELO rating of 2200
- FIDE Master (FM) requires ELO rating of 2300
- International Master (IM) requires three norms and ELO rating of 2400
- Grandmaster (GM) the highest title requires three norms and ELO rating of 2500
Connect with us
See what our online student says....
I'm very happy to have an opportunity to learn from Kapil Sir and being a part of the VCA family.
I would like to give Kapil Sir 9.5 out of 10 as He says "There is always room for improvement!"